Whether you are enjoying inland lakes, rivers, or exploring the waters of the Great Lakes, if you own a boat or a personal watercraft you may want to consider purchasing an insurance policy to protect yourself and your water vehicle in the event of an accident.
Homeowners and auto insurance policies may provide you with limited coverage for your boat and/or personal watercraft. Talk to your insurance representative about what coverage and limits you may have under your existing policies.
The personal watercraft policy covers bodily injury, property damage, guest passenger liability, medical payments, and theft. Additional coverage can also be purchased for trailers and other accessories.
Here's What Our Customers Are Saying
Why do you need insurance for your boat or personal watercraft?
You'll enjoy the water even more when you're not worried about the safety of yourself, your passengers or your investment. Here are a few things to consider:
- If you're in an accident or your watercraft is stolen, it costs money, often a lot of money, to fix or replace it.
- If you or any passengers are injured in an accident, medical costs can be extremely expensive.
- If your watercraft is responsible for damage or injury to others, you may be sued for much more than you're worth.
- Your watercraft also needs protection when it's on land. Accidents can happen while towing a watercraft.
Things to consider and questions to ask your agent
Here are a few things to consider as you prepare for the discussion:
- How much can you afford to pay if your boat or personal watercraft is in an accident, damaged or stolen?
- Is my boat or watercraft covered for use year-round?
- What discounts and programs are available?
- How much medical insurance and liability coverage is enough?
- Do I have coverage if I need to have my boat towed in an emergency?
- What's the process for filing and settling a claim?
- Does the insurance company have a good reputation for customer service? Is it known for paying claims fairly and promptly?
Additional Watercraft Insurance Information for the Savvy Consumer